Windows Live Writer
[May 31, 2007 Update: Beta2 of LiveWriter has been released]
A moment ago, I just did my first post with Windows Live Writer. So far, I like it.
Things I like:
- Installed: I like having the richest experience possible with a great piece of software.
- Editing Surface: The blending in of the Blog Title with the rest of the article in the editing surface.
- More Robust: The fact that I will lose less blog posts using this software compared to running in the browser.
Things I don’t like:
- Code Samples: I’d like to see better preservation of code sample formatting when pasted in. They look beautiful in VS, but come into live writer unindented and they have lost their colorization. Update: I even tried CopyAsHtml (an addin for VS) but that didn’t improve things.
- Linking: Creating a link to a previous post should be much easier. Is "Insert Link" the best that it can do? I want to grab a url by looking at a list of my previous posts in rich ways, finding the one I want via sorting, searching, etc… and then right clicking and saying grab link. The link should have the blog title in a functional hyperlink.
- Properties/Link: No clue what the View/Properties: Link text box does. For a second, I thought it was a way to give your blog a URL…I would have loved that! [Added 8/29/2006]
I’ll try to post additional likes/dislikes over time as well…
Additional issues: (added 9/6/2006)
- Post Cache is a problem – If I originally posted with Live Writer, but then modify with the web interface, I try to open it later via File/Open Post, but it seems to use the original post I had. I would think that the software would even detect when I open a recent post that it was the latest content for the site.
- Font control – I want font control – mostly for Consolas for code samples…
- Preview in web site – it goes to my main page for previews…which doesn’t work well if I am editing a piece that is no longer on my front page.