WPF/XAML Web News – 2006/09/09
I do a ton of reading web posts about WPF/XAML. I’m going to start doing occasional posts summarizing things I found interesting.
Samples in WPF
- Martin Grayson, A Pane In The Glass – posts sample showing a WPF application using Windows Vista Glass.
- Gill Cleeren, WPF tutorial: use reflections, shadows and rotations to create 3D effects – Code Project article.
- Bob’s Delphi Stuff, Avalon/WPF/.Net 3.0 RC1 – Posts an example showing how to use Delphi with WPF.
Book Reviews – Applications = Code + Markup, Charles Petzold
- Snowball, Yes, it’s here – One of the first copies in Europe. Says it looks complete. Will post review later.
- Marc My Word, Petzold’s Applications = Code + Markup – Gives brief early review. Definitely recommends a copy.
- Lab 49, New Petzold Book On WPF – Calls the book "a great read". Says WPF has "many great features, but many missing ones as well."
- IRhetoric – Karsten Januszewski, On Petzold’s Applications = Code + Markup – Karsten calls the book "pedagogically brilliant…Highly recommended reading for learning WPF and for a downright good read"
See my WPF Books list.
- The Braidy Tester, Fantasy Island? – Microsoft EID tester discusses how tests don’t need to change when you reskin WPF apps (even on the fly). Discusses Logical Functional Model, automation stack, focusing on User Actions.
- Simon Middlemiss, It’s over! – Shows an application that he wrote, Regatta Manager. Sounds like he already used it in production.
- WiredPrarie, Progress on my simple WPF Media Center… – Aaron is building a Media Center like interface in WPF.
- WPF: Another darned revolution – Mike Gunderloy says "it’s not baked yet…it’s too big…it’s too microsoft centric…it’s just too soon."
- BM Bloggers, Great Channel9 video in GUI testing – points to Ifeanyi Echeruo’s C9 video and discusses the accessibility API in WPF.
- Nigel, WPF Demo Reel and My Code from Tech.ed – Great WMV available showcasing a bunch of WPF demos!
- IRhetoric – Karsten Januszewski, Some Additional Pointers and Thoughts on RC1 – Calls the new Cider XAML/Designer split view…"like XAMLPad but with intellisense, color coding and more"
- Coding Horror, The Power of "View Source" – Jeff Atwood has a great piece about how "Code Darwinism" helps developers. How should WPF developers share source? For published apps like Foo.xbap and Foo.application, should developers pick a well defined location to look for Foo.zip? Actually, downloading, organizing, building, running all these apps could use a little utility app…
Early Opinions of WPF
- Incemental Blogger, Thoughts on WPF Development – C++ Dev, coding WPF for the last month, likes it. Not many details about WPF, but writes about C++ and language choice.
- Rory Primrose, WPF – The beginning – Developer for Australian Federal Police beginning a prototype with WPF. Not many details yet…
- Bob.NET 2005, Revolutionary WPF – Developer calls WPF revolutionary and talks highly of XAML, FlowDocument, and XPS.