March CTP of VS “Orcas”/Expression Blend – running notes
These issues may be known already and might even be fixed already, but this is my running log of VS "Orcas" issues as I do WPF development. I plan to keep updating this post… (maybe you could post your own list of detailed feedback to the VS team?)
[Remember: I’m focused on any problems or wishes i find/think of…not focusing on good things in this post. I love Orcas and I want to see it get as good as possible.]
What am I building? A tool to convert XAML to Code. (link for picture, etc…)
- It doesn’t filter the list of valid attribute based on those already set.
- Intellisense doesn’t suggest custom types in the project that match the content model…for example UserControl1
- Ctrl-K/D doesn’t reformat my xaml
- If I edit xaml while the app is debugging, then press f5, i expect it to run…it is already running, but i don’t get any feedback (i’m using dual monitors and the app is running on the other monitor…maybe it is becoming active). this feels different than code…but i don’t have time to analyze now…just want to write it down.
Property Grid in WPF Designer
- More Properties: BitmapEffect/BitmapEffectInput/SnapToDevicePixels
- is the second set of properties in Cider….deempasize BitmapEffects…they aren’t hardware accelerated!
- Brushes show up in the property grid as "#FF00FF" instead of "Blue"…that is likely BrushConverter’s (in WPF) fault…can it be worked around in the WPF Designer?
- Would love to have Search like Blend…without that, really want alphabetical…would prefer search though.
VS Item Templates
- Add New Item – Custom Control Template gave error: "this template attempted to load an untrusted component "WinFxCustomControlTemplateWizard"…
- [Just got this to work…not sure what the issue was before??? will keep my eyes open.] Can’t seem to find how to create a Watch variable in debug mode (or before I run)
When I edit simple styles.xaml in xaml editor (which is merged into app.xaml via a RD) window1.xaml doesn’t show those effects.
(right now, I haven’t installed the RC yet…will do that soon and recheck all these issues)
- I already have a style set targetting all TextBoxes, I try to edit a copy of a controltemplate of a textbox, it doesn’t offer to add that Template to the existing style.
- I wanted to edit the SimpleTextbox style (in a ResourceDictionary xaml file)…doesn’t seem possible with the designer.
I’ll put things that need to be made easier here: