Live Writer: Beta2 Available
I can’t tell you how much I enjoy blogging via Live Writer. I had been using an internal version for a while (I wanted SharePoint support for an internal blog), but I just upgraded to the newly released Live Writer Beta2.
If you blog, I strongly recommend giving it a try.
How is Beta2?
Below, I’ve repeated the problems I had back then along with the resolution status:
- Code Samples: I’d like to see better preservation of code sample formatting when pasted in. They look beautiful in VS, but come into live writer unindented and they have lost their colorization. Update: I even tried CopyAsHtml (an addin for VS) but that didn’t improve things.
Resolved: I use the "Paste from Visual Studio" Plugin…very nice.
- Linking: Creating a link to a previous post should be much easier. Is "Insert Link" the best that it can do? I want to grab a url by looking at a list of my previous posts in rich ways, finding the one I want via sorting, searching, etc… and then right clicking and saying grab link. The link should have the blog title in a functional hyperlink.
Better: I now see that Insert Hyperlink has a Link To button that allows you to pick previous posts. Unfortunately, it grabs the URL, but not the title of the post for the hyperlink.
- Properties/Link: No clue what the View/Properties: Link text box does. For a second, I thought it was a way to give your blog a URL…I would have loved that! [Added 8/29/2006]
Not Resolved (when does Properties become enabled?)
- Post Cache is a problem – If I originally posted with Live Writer, but then modify with the web interface, I try to open it later via File/Open Post, but it seems to use the original post I had. I would think that the software would even detect when I open a recent post that it was the latest content for the site.
Resolved: I haven’t tested it, but this is one of the features called out in beta2: "Automatic synchronization of local and online edits"
- Font control – I want font control – mostly for Consolas for code samples…
- Preview in web site – it goes to my main page for previews…which doesn’t work well if I am editing a piece that is no longer on my front page. I’d much prefer if the preview window navigated to the permalink of the post that I just published.