WPF 3.0sp1/3.5 & VS2008: what is it, where to get it, how to give feedback
What it is?/Where to get it?
When you think November, does your mouth water for Turkey. Microsoft is plotting to make you think of great software, not Turkey, when you think of November – .Net/VS – a great platform and great tools to help you build great software:
- .Net 3.0/VS2005 Extensions for .Net 3.0 in November 2006.
- .Net 3.5/VS2008 in November 2007.
After spending 6 years on WPF’s first release, it was great to be able to change pace and ship a release in 1 year! WindowsClient.Net has an updated list of the essential downloads for WPF development (.Net3.5, VS Express Editions, Expression Blend) and has a list of WPF/VS/.Net improvements in the 3.5/2008 wave. I’d also recommend you look at MSDN’s list of things to install (includes links to 90 day trial versions of VS2008) and What’s New in Windows Presentation Foundation Version 3.5. This release has lots of great things for WPF developers (and future WPF developers)! Check out some of the new 3.5 focused videos @ http://windowsclient.net/learn/videos_orcas.aspx.
Build great apps! Give feedback.
We hope you are happy with this wave! We look forward to seeing more of your great work on top of WPF and hearing your feedback…see you on the forums!
- Feedback on WPF features in .Net 3.5 should go on the WPF forum.
- Feedback on WPF features in VS should go on the WPF Designer ("Cider") forum.
Remember – Much of the work we did for 3.5, will also ship in .Net 3.0sp1 (which will ship in Windows Vista SP1).
A few other interesting info snippets from some Developer Division announcement posts:
- From Scott Guthrie’s announcement: Note that VS 2008 runs side-by-side with VS 2005 – so it is totally fine to have both on the same machine (you will not have any problems with them on the same box).
- From S. ("Soma") Somasegar’s announcement: The entire family of Visual Studio products (from the Express Editions to the Professional version to Visual Studio Team Suite) and .NET Framework 3.5 are available for immediate download here.